Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Week 2 Entry 1: State of the art

When I was in college I was lucky enough to work as a Graphic designer at the same university I was attending. This allowed me to gain real world experience while also learning the skills in the classroom. During this time I became close friends with a co-worker who taught me the process of screen printing. I started to screen print concert posters for bands that were touring through town (Denton, TX). When I graduated from college I left the design department and began teaching. Over the next four years, as my focus was now on Teaching, my printing hobby slowly faded away. Until last Tuesday, when I taught the Technology Student Association (TSA) the screen printing process, and we printed our club shirts.

It was a lot of fun sharing the art, as the kids referred to it: old school, of making shirts. Each student pulled the ink over the screen to create their own shirt, which seemed to add value to the shirt that was previously not there. Having to go to the art supply store to purchase the appropriate equipment got my creative juices flowing, and I am confident that I can begin printing posters again.

It is nice to find the inspiration for creativity at a place where I strive to inspire others. The design department, my co-worker, TSA, and school are all part of a collective that have pushed me as a designer, and I can only hope to continue to grow and share the inspiration with friends and students.

Link to TSA national site

No comments:

Post a Comment